Friday, November 21, 2008

Cheryl's Thanksgiving Pumpkin Stuffing

I have had several people ask for this recipe. I started making this recipe two years ago and it has become a family favorite. The recipe is based on one from Ibby's, but I have added my own special ingredients and tweaked it over the years. This is the final result. I hope your families enjoy this as much as ours does!

3 cups cubed pumpkin bread
3 cups cubed white or bread maker pumpkin bread
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups chopped red onion (I omit)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 tablespoons chicken broth

1 cup diced apples (I use Golden Delicious)
3/4 cup dried cranberries

** Note: I make one loaf of pumpkin bread and one loaf of pumpkin bread in the bread maker to make the bread cubes. Both recipes can be found on the blog as well.

Spread bread cubes on a baking sheet, and let dry overnight. (I usually dry them out for 24-48 hours.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 2 quart baking dish.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute celery and onions for about 10 minutes. Season with rosemary, tarragon, chives, parsley, salt, and pepper. Fold in bread cubes, apples and cranberries, and add enough broth to moisten. Transfer to prepared dish, and cover with foil.
Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove cover, and bake for 10 minutes, or until top is crisp.

No comments: