Monday, January 12, 2009

Sante Fe Bean Soup

I have recently had an obsession with bean soups, mostly because they are so healthy and filling. I have never really like beans, but these soups make them so enjoyable. This recipe is from a wonderful friend, Kathryn. She gave it to me awhile back and I just now made it. Very easy, cheap, healthy and delicious - does it get any better?

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped (I omit)
1 pkg. Ranch dressing mix
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 chili powder
1 - 16 oz. can black beans
1 - 16 oz. can pinto beans
1 - 16 oz. can dark red kidney beans
2 - 16 oz. can diced tomatoes (I use the kind that has chilies included)
2 - 16 oz. cans white or yellow corn
1 c. water
1 c. cooked brown rice
Sour cream and cheese to put on top

Brown beef and onions in a large soup pot. Drain. Add seasoning packets and seasonings and cook on low for 5 minutes. Add all canned items (do not drain anything!), water and cooked rice. Heat through. Serve topped with cheese and sour cream.

Serves 6-8

No comments: