Saturday, January 10, 2009

Black Bean Soup

I found this recipe in a Cooking Light magazine. Of course, I have altered it a bit, but the result is delicious and very healthy. I actually buy the dry beans, soak them overnight and cooked them for 2 hours the next day. I think they taste better when it is a labor of love!

3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
3 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
1 large onion (I omit)
1 medium red pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cans chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes with chilies
3 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. lime juice
sour cream and salsa

In a small bowl, mash one can of beans; set aside. In a large pan, saute celery, onion, pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in broth, tomatoes, cumin, hot sauce, pepper, bay leaf and beans (both mashed and unmashed). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf and add lime juice. Garnish with sour cream and salsa.

No comments: